How To Make The Perfect Mince Pie With Kinsale Gourmet Academy
Video and recipe available here!
Here is the recipe from David Rice if you want to try your hand at these delicious Christmas traditions:
"I am a big fan of taking shortcuts as long as it doesn’t affect the overall flavour of the dish. For my mince pies I buy, good quality mincemeat and a packet of ready to roll all butter sweet pastry."
Ingredients Makes 12
1 packet of ready to roll sweet shortcrust all butter pastry (about 200g)
300g jar of good quality mincemeat.
For the frangipane
100g ground almonds
100g butter melted
100g caster sugar
10g plain flour.
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degree on a fan setting.
2. Make your frangipane by warming the butter until it is melted, then in a bowl mix in the sugar, almonds and flour to make a paste. Then gradually beat in the 2 eggs with a wooden spoon until completely mix to a smooth paste and set aside.
3. Grease a 12 holed muffin tray with some melted butter and dust with flour to make the tray non-stick.
4. Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a euro coin. The thinner you get pastry the crispier the pies will be.
5. Cut out 12 discs of pastry using the top of cup and press each circle of pastry into the holes as neatly as you can.
6. Now put a tablespoon of mincemeat into each muffin case followed by a tablespoon of frangipane on top of the mincemeat.
7. Don’t worry if the frangipane doesn’t sit neatly on top of the mincemeat, it will all fall into place when it goes into the oven.
8. Bake at 170 for 18-20 minutes until they are a dark golden brown colour on top. Leave to cool in the tins for 2-5 minutes and then turn out and serve.
More from Entertainment
WATCH: Aiken Promotions tease concert announcement at Pairc Ui Chaoimh later this week
Aiken Promotions have teased what seems like a concert announcement at Pairc Ui Chaoimh!
Intruder removed from Love Island villa
An intruder has been removed from the Love Island villa in a security breach.
Bruce Springsteen's daughter to compete at Olympic Games
Jessica Springsteen, the daughter of rock and roll legend Bruce, is heading to Tokyo to compete in the Olympics.
Dermot Bannon confirms return of Room To Improve
Dermot Bannon has confirmed that Room To Improve will be making a comeback later in the year.
Gogglebox's Pete McGarry has passed away aged 71
Googlebox star Pete McGarry has died aged 71.
Simon Cowell thinks he can convince One Direction to get back together
Simon Cowell has said he thinks he can get One Direction to reform.